REVISED 2012 Engineering Drawing Mumbai University
Syllabus for Engineering Drawing Mumbai University
Objective of the course1) Students should be able to visualize the objects.
2) They should be able to understand and read drawing.
3) They should be able to present the same.
Introduction to Engineering Drawing. Types of Lines, Dimensioning Systems as per
Engineering Curves: Basic construction of Cycloid, Involutes and Helix( of cylinder)
**Introduction to Auto CAD:- Basic Drawing and Editing Commands. Knowledge
of setting up layers, Dimensioning,Hatching, plotting and Printing.
Projection of Points and Lines:-Lines inclined to boththe Reference Planes.
@Projection of Planes:Triangular, Square, Rectangular, Pentagonal, Hexagonal and
Circular planes inclined to either HP orVP only. (Exclude composite planes)
Projection of Solids:- (Prism, Pyramid, Cylinder, Cone only) Solid projection with
the axis inclined to HP and VP. (Exclude Spheres , Composite and Hollow solids)..
Use change of position or Auxiliary plane method
Section of solids:- section of Prism, Pyramid, Cylinder, &Cone , cut by plane
perpendicular to at least one reference plane.( Exclude Curved section Plane). Use
change of position or Auxiliary plane method
Development of Surfaces:-Lateral surface development of Prism, Pyramid,
Cylinder, Cone with section plane inclined to HP or VP only. (Exclude Reverse
Orthographic projections:-• Different views of a simple machine part as per the first angle projection
method recommended by I.S.
• Full or Half Sectional views of the Simple Machine parts.
• **Drawing of orthographic projections using Auto CAD.
Isometric Projections: Isometric projection/Drawing of blocks (plain and cylindrical
• **Drawing of Isometric projections using Auto CAD.
• @Reading of orthographic projections. (Only for TW)
• *Orthographic Reading using Auto CAD.
**Introduction to 3D in AutoCAD
Working in 3-dimensions, Viewing 3D Objects, Basic wireframe models, Extruding,
simple revolved objects. Boolean operations.
Generation of orthographic projections from 3D drawing.
**Should be covered during Auto CAD practical.
@ only in Term Work.(i.e:-Questions will not be asked for the examination.)
1) N.D. Bhatt, “Engineering Drawing (Plane and solid geometry)”, Charotar Publishing House Pvt.
2) N.D. Bhatt & V.M. Panchal, “Machine Drawing”, Charotar Publishing House Pvt. Ltd.
1) M.B Shah & B.C Rana, “Engineering Drawing”, Pearson Publications.
2) P.J. Shah, “Engineering Graphics”, S Chand Publications.
3) Dhananjay A Jolhe, “Engineering Drawing” Tata McGraw Hill
4) Prof. Sham Tickoo (Purdue University) & Gaurav Verma, “( CAD Soft Technologies) : Auto
CAD 2012 (For engineers and Designers)”, Dreamtech Press NewDelhi.