REVISED 2012 Applied Chemistry-I Mumbai University
Syllabus for Applied Chemistry 1
• Impurities in water, Hardness of water, Determination of Hardness of
water by EDTA method and problems. Softening of water by Hot cold
lime soda method and problems. Zeolite process and problems. Ion
Exchange process and problems.
• Drinking water or Municipal water, Treatments removal of
microorganisms, by adding Bleaching powder, Chlorination ( no
breakpoint chlorination), Disinfection by Ozone, Electrodialysis and
Reverse osmosis, ultra filtration.
• BOD, COD( def,& significance), sewage treatments activated sludge
process, numerical problems related to COD.
• Introduction to polymers, Thermoplastic and Thermosetting plastic.
• Ingredients of the plastic (Compounding of plastic.)
• Fabrication of plastic by Compression, Injection , Transfer, Extrusion
molding. Preparation, properties and uses of Phenol-formaldehyde,
PMMA , Kevlar.
• Effect of heat on the polymers (Glass transition temperatures)
Polymers in medicine and surgery.
• Conducting polymers, Industrial polymers.
• Natural rubber (latex), Drawbacks of natural rubber, Compounding of
rubber (vulcanization of rubber), Preparation, properties and uses of
Buna‐S, Silicone and Polyurethane rubber.
• Introduction , Definition, Mechanism of Lubrication, Classification of
lubricants, Solid lubricants (graphite & Molybdenum disulphide ) ,
Semisolid lubricants (greases Na base , Li base , Ca base, Axle greases.) ,
Liquid lubricants( blended oils ).
• Important properties of lubricants , definition and significance
,viscosity ,viscosity index, flash and fire points, cloud and pour points,
oiliness, Emulsification, Acid value and problems, Saponification value
and problems .
• Gibb’s Phase Rule, Explanation, One Component System (Water) ,
Reduced Phase Rule, Two Component System (Pb‐Ag), Limitations of
Important Engineering Materials
• Cement‐ Manufacture of Portland Cement, Chemical Composition and
Constitution of Portland Cement , Setting and Hardening of Portland
Cement, Concrete RCC and Decay. Refractories Preparation,
properties and uses of Silica bricks, Dolomite bricks , Silicon Carbide
• Nanomaterials , preparation (Laser and CVD method), properties and
uses of CNTS
1. Engineering Chemistry – Jain & Jain, Dhanpat Rai
2. Engineering Chemistry – Dara & Dara, S Chand
3. Engineering Chemistry – Wiley India (ISBN-9788126519880)
4. A Text Book of Engineering Chemistry – Shashi Chawla (Dhanpat Rai)