Prerequisite: Wireless Networks
Objective: The main objective of this course is to introduce participants to the new
technologies, applications, services and business models of M-Commerce. In
addition, we also look at mobile policy implications along with wireless spectrum
1. Introduction to e-business and e-commerce: Introduction, What is the difference
between e-commerce and e-business?, How significant are e-commerce and e-
business?, Business adoption of digital technologies for e-commerce and e-business,
Introducing the B2B and B2C companies, Management responses to e-commerce and
2. E-commerce fundamentals: Introduction, The e-commerce environment, The e-
commerce marketplace, Focus on portals, Location of trading in the marketplace,
Commercial arrangement for transactions, Focus on auctions, Business models for e-
commerce, Revenue models, Focus on internet start-up companies-the dot-coms.
3. E-business infrastructure: Introduction, What is the internet?, How does it work?
Internet standards, Focus on who controls the internet, Managing e-business
infrastructure, Focus on web service and service and service-oriented, Focus on new
4. E-environment: Introduction, Social factors, Taxation, Economics and competitive
factors, Focus on e-commerce and globalization, Political factors, Internet
governance, E- governance, Technological innovation and technology assessment,.
5. E-business strategy: Introduction, E-business strategy, Strategic analysis, Strategic
objectives, Strategy definition, Strategy implementation, Focus on information
systems strategy and e-business strategy.
6. Supply chain management: Introduction, What is supply chain management?, Focus
on the value chain, Option for restructuring the supply chain, Using e-business to
restructure the supply chain, Supply chain management implementation.
7. E-procurement: Introduction, What is e-procurement?, Drivers of e-procurement,
Focus on estimating e-procurement cost savings, Risks and impacts of e-procurement,
Implementing e-procurement, Focus on electronics B2B marketplaces, The future of
8. E-marketing: Introduction, What is e-marketing?, E-marketing planning, Situation
analysis, Objective setting, Strategy, Focus on characteristics of new-media
marketing communications, Tactics, Focus on online branding, Actions, Control.
9. Customer relationship management: Introduction, What is e-CRM?, conversion
marketing, the online buying process, customer acquisition management , focus on
marketing communications for customer acquisition ,customer retention management
focus on excelling in e- commerce service quality, customer extension
10. Change management: Introduction, The challenges of e-business transformation,
different types of change in business, Planning change, Human resource
requirements, Revising organizational structures, approaches to managing change,
focus on knowledge management, risk management.
11. Analysis and design: Introduction, process modeling, Data modeling, Design for e-
business, Focus on user –centered site design, Focus on security design for e-business.
12. Implementation and maintenance: Introduction, Alternatives for acquiring e-
business systems, Development of web-based content and services, focus on
developing dynamic web content , testing, Changeover , Content management and
maintenance, Focus on measuring and improving performance of e- business systems.
13. M-Commerce: Introduction to m-commerce: Emerging applications, different
players in m-commerce, m-commerce life cycle Mobile financial services, mobile
entertainment services, and proactive service management.
14. Management of mobile commerce services: Content development and distribution
to hand-held devices, content caching, pricing of mobile commerce services The
emerging issues in mobile commerce: The role of emerging wireless LANs and
3G/4G wireless networks, personalized content management, implementation
challenges in m-commerce, futuristic m-commerce services.
Dave Chaffey, “E-Business and E-Commerce Management”, Third Edition, 2009,
1. Henry Chan, Raymod Lee and etl., “E-Commerce Fundamental and Applications”,
2. Brian Mennecke and Troy Strader, “Mobile Commerce: Technology, Theory and
Applications”, Idea Group, 2003.
3. Nansi Shi, “Mobile Commerce Applications”, IGI Global, 2004.
4. Gary P. Schneider, “Electronic Commerce”, Seventh Edition, CENGAGE Learning
India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
5. K. K. Bajaj, D. Nag “E-Commerce”, 2nd
Edition, McGraw Hill Education, New Delhi
6. P. T. Joseph, “E-Commerce an Indian Perspective”, PHI Publication, New Delhi.
7. Bhaskar Bharat, “Electronic Commerce-Technology and Application”, McGraw Hill
Education, New Delhi