ENGINEERING SEM 2
Communication Skill – II
Syllabus In Detail:-
Module- Communication Theory 08hr
01 • Concept and meaning of communication, Objectives of communication.
Methods of communication, Communication in a business organization
(Internal, upward, downward horizontal, grapevine), Problems and solutions.
Module- Techniques to improve communication 05hr
02 • Speaking (Phonetics), Writing, Reading and Listening. Introduction to
Modern Communication Media, Netiquette, conferencing-Introduction,
Module- Summarization and Comprehension. 03hr
03 • Techniques to comprehend and summarize a given technical, scientific or
industry oriented text, Questions to test analytical skills and expressions. (to
test the ability to present the written matter in a brief and concise manner)
Module- Vocabulary. Grammar & Aptitude test. 03hr
Module- Basic Official Correspondence. 08hr
05 • Principles of correspondence, Language and style in official letters. formats
of letters (Complete block, Modified Block, semi-Block form), Types of
letters (Enquiry, Reply to enquiry, Placing an order, claim and Adjustments).
Module- Basic Technical Writing. 03hr
06 • framing definitions, Writing instructions, Types of expositions (description
Topics to be assigned for speech practice to test diction. Modulation, fluency and non verbal
Practice for group discussion
(Only Internal Assessment for oral examination): 25 Marks.
10 marks for public speaking
15 marks for group Discussion.
1. Business communication, Lesikar and Petit: Mc Graw-Hill Publications. 1995
2. Communication Skills Handbood, summers, Wiley India.
3. Business Communication, (Revised Edition), Rai And Rai, Himalaya Publishing House
4. Business correspondence and report writing, R.C. Sharma and Krishna Mohan, tata
McGraw-Hill, 2002 3rd edition.
5. English for Engineers and Technologists: A skills approach (Books 1 & 2) course authors
(Humanities& social Sciences division, Anna University Madras) Orient Longman.
6. Modern Business Correspondence, Mc-commas and Satterwhite; Sixth Edition. McGraw-
7. Technical Writing and Professional communications, Huckins, Thomas, McGraw-Hill
8. Contemporary Business communication, Scott Ober, Wiley India.
9. Written Communication, Sarah , Orient Longman.