ENGINEERING SEM 1 SYLLABUS
Basic Electrical and Electronics Engineering ( BEE )
- Theory Examination 3hr 100 marks
- Practical and Oral 2hr 25 marks
- Term Work 25 marks
Total 150 marks
A. Concepts of c.m.f, potential difference & current, battery. B. Capacitors, with uniform & composite medium, energy stored in a capacitor, R-C time constant. C. Magnetic field, magnetic circuit, Faraday’s laws of electromagnetic induction, Hysteresis & Eddy current losses, energy stored in an inductor time constant in R-L Circuit.
1. DC circuits: (only independent sources). 12 hours
Ohm’s law resistance, receptivity, series & parallel
connections, star delta transformation, power dissipation in
resistance, effect of temperature on resistance.
Kirchhoffs laws Mesh laws Mesh & Nodal analysis. Source
transformation, Superposition, Thevenin’s. Norton’s and
Maximum power transfer theorems.
2. AC circuits: 16 hours
Generation of alternating voltage & currents, R.M.S. &
Average value form factor crest factor A.C. Through
resistance inductance & capacitance. R-L,R-C & R-L-C
series & parallel circuits, phasor diagrams. Power & power
factor, series & parallel resonance.
Problems by analytical as well as phical methods.
3. Three phase circuits: 8 hours
Three phase voltage & current generation, star & delta
connections (balanced load), relationship b between phase &
line currents and voltages, phasor diagrams, measurement of
power by two wattmeter method.
Problems by analytical as will graphical methods.
4. Single phase transformer: 8 hours
Construction, working principle, c.m.f. equation, ideal &
practical transformer, phasor diagrams, equivalent circuit,
O.C.& S.C. tests, efficiency & regulation. All day efficiency.
5. Electrical Machines: (No numerical is expected). 09 hours
• DC Generators & Motors: Construction, working
principle, e.m.f. equation, classification & applications.
• Three phase Induction Motor: construction, working
principle, squirrel cage rotor & phase wound rotor,
production of rotating magnetic field, slip.
• Single phase Induction Motor: Construction working
principle, double field revolving theory, split phase,
capacitor start, & shaded pole motor.
6. A. Semiconductor Devices:(No numerical is expected) 04 hours
P-N Junction diode, Zener diode, their construction,
working and characteristics. BJT its construction,
characteristics & applications. (only CE configuration)
B. Rectifiers: (No numerical is expected) 04 hours
Analysis of half wave & full wave rectifier with resistive
load and its parameters ripple factor rectification
Rectifier circuit with capacitive filter only.
List of laboratory experiments:
1. Mesh and Nodal analysis.
2. Verification of Superposition theorem.
3. Maximum Power Transfer theorem (Theremin and Norton)
4. Diode characteristics.
5. R-L-C- Series & Parallel circult.
6. Relationships between phase & line currents and voltages in a Three phase system
(star & delta).
7. Power and phase measurement in three phase system by two wattmeter method.
8. Load test on a single phase transformer by direct loading.
9. O.C. & S.C. tests on single phase transformer.
10. Half wave & full wave rectifier (with & without filter)
11. Input and output characteristics of CE-BJT configuration.
12. Study of electrical machines.
1. Vincent Deltoro: Electrical Engineering Fundamentals. Pearson Education.
2. M.S.Naidu. S. Kamakshaiah Introduction to Electrical Bngneering, Tata McGrow Hill
3. MITTLE & MITTAL, Basic Electrical Engg. 2/e.(New), Tata McGraw Hill
4. Edward Hughes: Electrical Technology. Pearson Education. (Seventh edition).
5. Joseph. A. Edminster: Electrical Circuits. Schaums outline series. Tata McGraw Hill
6. H.Cotton: Advanced E;ectroca; Technology, Wheeler Publication.
7. I.J. Nagrath & D.P. Kothari: Electrical machines. Tata McGraw Hill (Second edition).
8. Dr. P.S. Bimbhra: Electric Machinery, Khanna Publishers. (Revised edition).
9. William Hayt, Kemmerly, Durbin: engineering Circuit Analysis, Tata McGraw Hill
10. Boylestad, Nashelsky: Electronic Devices & Circuit Theory. Pearson Education.
11. Bhargava, Kulshreshtha, Gupta: Basic Electronics & Linear Circuits, TTTI,
Chadigarh, Tata McGraw Hill
12. S.K. Bhattacharya S. Chatterjee: Industrial Electronics & Control. TTTI,
Chadigarh, Tata McGraw Hill