ENGINEERING SEM 1 SYLLABUS
Applied Physics I (AP 1)
SYLLABUS IN DETAIL:-
1. Crystallography & X-rays : 12HR
Lattice, basis, crystal axes, unit cells, lattice parameters & crystal systems, SC, BCC,
FCC, diamond, NaCl, zinc blend and HCP crystal structures, Miller indices, planes &
directions, Liquid crystals & phases, LCD display & its specifications.
• X-rays – origin of x-rays and x-ray spectra, x-ray diffraction & Bragg’s law and
determination of crystal structure.
• Real crystals – Crystal imperfections, point defects and dislocations.
2. Physics of Semiconductors : 8HR
• Classification of solids, Fermi-Dirac statistics, concept of Fermi level & its variation
with temperature, impurity and applied voltage.
• Intrinsic & extrinsic carrier concentrations, carrier drift, mobility, resistivity and Hall
effect, carrier diffusion, Einstein’s relations, current density & continuity equations.
• Energy band diagrams of p-n junction, formation of depletion region, derivation for
depletion layer width.
3. Super conductivity : 5HR
• Critical temperature, Crital magnetic field, Type I Type II super conductors, high Tc
• Meissner effect, josephson effect.
• SQUIDS, plasma confinement, Maglev.
4. Acoustics : 5HR
• Acoustics of Building, Absorption, Importance of Reverberation Time, Units of
Loudness, Decibel, Phon.
• Conditions for Good Acoustics methods of Designs for Good Acoustics,
Determination of Absorption coefficient, Noise Pollution.
5. Ultrasonics : 5HR
• Principles of production, piezoelectric & mangetostriction effect.
• Piezoelectric & magnetostriction oscillator; ultrasonic materials – quartz &
ferroelectric materials, cavitation effect.
• Applications based on cavitation effect and echo sounding, ultrasonic imaging &
6. Electron optics : 5HR
• Electrostatic & Magnetostatic focusing system.
• Construction & working of CRT, CRO and its applications.
1. PF of SC, BCC. FCC, diamond and HCP (Zn) crystal structures.
2. Crystal lattice planes, Miller indices and interplanar spacing of (100)
(110) & (111) set of planes in SC, BCC& FCC.
3. Hall effect & determination of Hall coefficient.
4. I-V characteristics of si & GaAs diodes. (IRLED)
5. CRO-measurement of frequency & amplitude.
6. CRO-Lissa Jous pattems & measurement of phase difference.
7. Ultrasonic distance meter.
8. Measurement of wavelength & velocity of ultrasonic waves.
1. Solid State Physics – Charles Kittle, EEE Pbl
2. Physics of Semiconductors- S.M. Sze, wiley Easterm.
3. Engineering physics- Gaur & Gupta, Dhanpat Rai & Co.
4. A Textbook of Engineering Physics- Kshirsagar & Avadhanulu, S chand.
5. Modern Engineering Physics- vasudeva S Chand Pbl
6. Concepts of Modern Physics- Arther Beiser Tata Mcgraw Hill.