ENGINEERING SEM 2
Applied Chemistry -II
Syllabus In Detail:-
Module- Corrosion : 8hr
01 • Nemst theory, Standard Electrode potential, types of corrosion Dry or
chemical corrosion wet or electrochemical corrosion Electrochemical,
Galvanic cell, Concentration cell, Intergranular Stress cell corrosion
Polarization, Over voltage. Factors affecting rate of corrosion.
• Methods to decrease the rate of corrosion, cathodic and anodic Protection,
cathodic and Anodic coatings. advanced coatings and protection methods,
Only constituents and their function of a) Panints b) Varnishes c) Lacquors d)
• Metallic coatings: Methods of coating and study only electroplating
method. Corrosion engineering of electronic and photonic devices.
Module- Alloys: 06hr
02 • Alloys, Types of alloys, alloys of Al, Cu & Pb. Their composition
properties and uses. Recent advances in alloy related materials
• Powder Metallurgy Methods of metal powder formation, Metal ceramic
powders Technology of Powder metallurgy. Applications of powder
Module- Fuel 10hr
03 • definition classification, characteristic properties of a good fuel Calorific
value, cross and Net calorific value, conversion. Proximate and altimate
analysis of fuels, combustion calculations for requirement of oxygen and air
for given solid, liquid gaseous fuel.
• Liquid fuels: Crude petroleum oil, classification Separation and purification
of Gasoline from crude oil. Thermal cracking Catalytic cracking. Fixed bed,
moving method for obtaining gasoline.
• Diesel, Bio diesel, methods to obtain bio diesel, production of ethanol using
bio-mass production of hydrocarbons from plants, Knocking, Octane value.
anti-knocking agents and their function recent technology for catalytic
Module- Composite Materials: 05hr
04 • Introduction. Constitution, Characteristic properties classification Particle,
fiber, reinforced composites structural composites,
• Application of composite materials
Module- Green chemistry: 05hr
06 • Introduction, Goals Significance, Basic ideas in the field of green chemistry
research with 3 examples.
• Industrial applications of green chemistry.
Module- Catalysis: 06hr
07 • Introduction, Importance of catalysts and adsorbents in industry, Activation
energy and catalysts.
• Molecular design for catalysts and adsorbents, Molecular design by nature-
Zeolites, zeotypes, pillared clays, Metal complexes and clusters, Oxide
materials carbon materials, membranes.
1. Fundamentals of Physics, Holliday/ Resnick white India 6
2. Fundamentals of optics, Jenkins & white Me Graw-Hill Int.
3. Understanding Physics, Cummins, wiley India
4. Modem Engineering physics A S Vasudeva S shand